Media Choreographies: rehearsal series
- De Bonte Zwaan
- w/ Joana Chicau
Rehearsal Series is a cross-disciplinary workshop methodology which merges choreography with design thinking and computer programming developed by Joana Chicau.
By 'rehearsal' it is meant a temporary stage for exploring the use of choreographic techniques to generate new modes of thinking composition making, participation, relations and articulations between bodies and technologies. An important point about the Rehearsal Series is to break the distancing between mind/body, self/other, subject/object, designer/ design piece; discovery/invention. Enhancing the idea of process over product: processes of becoming, becoming structures, becoming codes and scripts.
Find more details here.
- 0.1 presentation of research and methodology;
- 0.2 embodiment: a series of physical exercises to resist the alignment of movement to functional choreographies and open up perceptual and kinesthetic understandings of timespace;
- 0.3 analysis of movement scores & programming scripts = ‘writing spaces’;
- 0.4 forming groups; reflection on embodiment and choreographic concepts previously experienced; time dedicated to create ‘choreographic-codes’;
- [lunch break]
- 0.5 continuation of the group work;
- 0.6 group presentations; final discussion and critical reflections on the methodology, use of tools and collaborate work;
Find useful links and resources to better prepare for the workshop here.
Besides your laptop and comfortable clothes, you may also bring your own gadgets, digital and analogue tools; as well as explore different programming languages and scripts you may have prepared in advance.