Emoji Proxies & Ghost Messengers
- 12:00 - 16:30
- Page Not Found
- w/ Hackers & Designers, The Hmm
During this hybrid workshop we’re exploring the possibilities of live networking technologies in hybrid cultural events.
As an online visitor to cultural events, you can often do little more than ask a question in chat, and chat with other online visitors. How can online visitors feel seen, become more involved in or even have agency over what happens on-site? This is something we’re going to explore during this workshop.
An abstract illustration of 4 figures in the shape of an emoji-ghost hybrid.
Together with The Hmm we’ve developed a tool that makes use of standalone wifi hotspots (ESP32 modules) and live networking protocols (MQTT) that allows online input to be translated into something physical, and vice versa. For example, every time an online visitor opens the livestream page, a spotlight shines in the physical space. There are many use cases possible, but how can it help an event really be influenced by the presence of an online audience? How can it stimulate interaction between online and on-site audiences?
This workshop doesn’t require knowledge of programming. It’s free to join, but a registration is required. Register here.
- We start at 12:00 with a hybrid session where we show the tool, test it together and brainstorm about valuable and affective implementations.
- After a lunch break we continue at 14:00 with a workshop (on-site only) where you learn to develop this tool yourself and get the chance to experiment with it in multiple ways.
- What to bring: a laptop computer (usb adaptor if your computer requires) and a smartphone.
- Location: Page Not Found, Boekhorststraat 126-128, 2512 CT Den Haag
This workshop is organised by Hackers & Designers and The Hmm, as part of the project Going Hybrid of Institute of Network Cultures.